Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Playin' House With Yo' Potential Spouse (Why I Think Cohabitation is a Good Idea)



So, I'm moving in with my girlfriend on the 24th. Not many people know this yet, and not many people will know by then because not many people read this blog. 

But, just in case you happen to read this blog, I'm going to give an explanation for my actions of - what some labeled as - cohabitation. 

First of all, I am a Christian (an agnostic Christian would probably be a better description, because I do believe in Jesus and I do believe in God, but I do not believe Jesus was or is God). 

Second of all, I know what the bible says about marriage. Or, wait, no I don't.


If I were to take the Bible literally when it comes to marriage, then there should be alot of literalists out there who would agree that I should be finding not only a house to live in with my girlfriend, but some mistresses to move in as well. I would say the Bible is way more pro-polygamy than it is anti-cohabitation. To my knowledge, the Bible says nothing about it being wrong to cohabitate. 

Yet, our Christian culture tells us that evidently we're missing the parts all throughout scripture where God says to not play house with your potential spouse.

Don't play house with yo' potential spouse, thus sayeth the Lord.

It sounds like the making of a top 40 Christian rap song.

Here's why I think it's a good idea to "play house" before deciding if you wanna stay with the person you're with for the rest of your life. 

But first, I'll start with examples of how we practice this same logic in other aspects of life.

We read books, attend seminars, and invest tons of time and energy into savings and retirement. In other words, in the financial realm, we go to great lengths to prepare for the unknown. Yet, no one goes around on Facebook blasting their horns about how God doesn't want you to budget. 

When we buy cars or houses, we find out all we can about those things. We find out who lived in the house before, what kind of people they were, what kind of incidents may have occurred with the car, if it was involved in any wrecks, and so on. 

Yet, no one goes around telling people God says not to investigate before buying. 

In fact, the one verse that's usually used to defend the principle of investing is "count the cost. A king wouldn't go into battle without counting the cost."

Even though this verse has nothing to do with how it gets used today, it seems it would be a great verse to defend my reasoning in moving in, or, if you prefer, "playing house."

I'm starting to hear God flowin' already, Don't play house with yo' potential spouse.

And, so in the words of all those literalists who've come before me, I'm just a countin' tha' cost.

It may not be Grade-A Christian approved, but it sure seems logical. Out of all the things that we can't plan for, it seems like this would be the one thing that people would start stockin' up for. 

Yet, for some reason (extra-biblically, I might add), there's this - I don't know - fear-driven idea pops up everytime I hear about how little Johnny's all grown up now and, um, did you hear about him and - uh - what's her name? And the lips smack together in unapproved agreement as one can only wait for the fire and brimstone that's about to pour down on that little Sodom and Gomorrah. 

Who knows how this is gonna end up? I sure as hell don't. I do know one thing - if I'm gonna do everything I can to be financially responsible (even though I care very little about how much money I have), then I'm damn sure gonna do everything I can to be relationally responsible. Especially if we're talking about a lifetime under the same roof, hell or high water, good and bad, sick and healthy, and whatever else you married people said when you stood under that white thing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment