Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lambs and Doves (John 1:29-34)


    I was talking to my boss the other day about some theological questions.  He had opened up with a question that caught me off-guard.  He asked, "What are your views on masturbation?"  I paused for a second, wondering what kind of trap he was setting up for me to play into.  After thinking for a couple of seconds, I said, "I think it can be a healthy sexual practice."  He looked at me for a second, and said, "I'm still on the fence."  The conversation would have been really awkward had it stopped right there, but it went much further and we entered into the issue of sexual immorality and what the Bible says about it.  We disagree with each other about a lot of stuff, but on one thing we absolutely agree - that we need Jesus.  As he was bringing up questions of sin and breaking the law of the old Testament, I couldn't help but think of the way that we Christians sometimes live Jewishly.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I believe the Jewish traditions are beautiful and show a deep, mystical reverence and worship of God.  Because of Jewish law, we're able to see much deeper into the mysteries of Jesus and the symbolism that occurs throughout the new testament scriptures.

     In the case of the gospel of John, we are painted a picture of the Jordan River.  There are probably hundreds of people standing on the shoreline, watching and listening to John talk about things they've never heard before.  John says that "God's passover lamb is here," and he mentions that he saw "the spirit come and stay on him."  The lamb and the dove play very significant roles in the life of the Jew.  In the sacrificial traditions of Jewish life, lambs are used for absolution offerings.  Absolution offering is required for forgiveness of sins.  The dove was used as a whole burnt offering.  The Torah tells us that the aromas of the whole burnt offerings are very pleasing to God.  Also, we remember the story of Noah, and how he used a dove to scope out the prospects of dry land during the days of the flood.  Noah sent the dove out to find life in a dead world.  The significance behind the words that John uses to introduce Jesus are very important to the Christian.

    The reason I say that many of us Christians live more Jewish than Christian is that we forget what the lamb and the dove represent in regards to Jesus entering the world.  If we could have had a video camera rolling tape among the crowd standing on the edge of the Jordan, we probably would have caught the faces of a people who were in absolutely in awe of a new concept that involved language very familiar to them.  What John was saying was this:  "A man is here who is taking on the role of the sacrificial lamb.  He forgives not only your sins, but the sins of the world!  The dove is whole and alive, and has found a dwelling place.  You don't have to scrub yourself clean any longer from your sins!"

     As a recovered alcoholic, and a Christian, I know all too well what it's like to call myself a Christian but to have a Jewish understanding.  My sins were many and my sacrificial offerings were not animals, but practices.  It was a routine for me to close the bar down at 2:00 a.m., pass out, and then wake up religiously at 4:30 and head to my quiet place to use the scriptures as my absolution - or my dove offering.  I would pray for everyone I could think of, and memorize one passage of scripture before I left for work.  In this way, I would be atoned for my sins the night before and would be safeguarded throughout my day at work.  I was a proclaimed Christian living the life of a Jew.  I knew much about what Christ said, but knew nothing of what Christ did.  The Sermon on the Mount became my battle cry, but the cross of Christ was a "nice notion."

     The story of the lamb and the dove have much significance to all of us.  No matter who we are, we know what it's like to screw up, feel bad about it, and devote time and energy to scrubbing ourselves clean from our mistakes.  In other words, we all practice at some time or another, rituals and sacrifices in the hope of wholeness.  I believe that John the Baptist is proclaiming here that there is another way.  A man has shown up who has become our sacrifice.  He has become our lambs, doves, apologies, firm resolutions, and promises to never to (fill in the blank) again.  As we go out today, we remember who Christ represents.  One of the phrases I've learned to use that helps me out a lot is, "I'm okay with not being okay."  Do we believe this?  As we screw up today, may we not try to scrub ourselves clean.  Rather, may we be pointed to the One who has already forgiven and scrubbed us clean.  May we be okay with not being okay today.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Not having to worry about whether I've been forgiven makes my days a lot easier to navigate. When I relived this I could actually feel the burden slide off my shoulders.

    I may not fully understand the how & why of it all, but I'm not going to spend time figuring it all out. I believe what Jesus said and what I should be doing. I can work with that. It's good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete