Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Supply (Ordinary Time - Day 112)

2 Kings 5:19-27
Elisha's servant Gehazi can't believe that Naaman has left without so much as giving a thank you. In actuality, Elisha refused repayment because he wanted God to receive all the credit. But Gehazi isn't okay with this. He thinks they deserve some of the silver off Naaman's donkey at least. So, Gehazi gets the wild idea to chase down Naaman and make up a story to get him to hand over some of the wealth.

Gehazi tells Naaman, "Something's come up. Two young men from the guild of prophets showed up the Elisha's place, and they need some supplies. They're down on their luck, and Elisha told me to ask you to supply them with 75 pounds of silver and two sets of clothes."

Naaman happily consented and went the extra mile, giving Gehazi 150 pounds of silver, two sets of clothes, and two servants to help carry the gifts back home.

When they get back to the house, Gehazi stows away the gifts and sends the servants back to Naaman. He still has to face Elisha though. Elisha asks him, "What have you been up to?"

"Nothing," Gehazi responds.

Elisha says, "Don't you know that I was with you in spirit when Naaman greeted you on his chariot? Do you think this is the time to look after yourself and line your pockets with gifts? Because you've done this, Naaman's skin disease will infect you and your family, and there will be no relief."

The author writes that Gehazi walked away, with skin that was flaky and white as snow.

I was once an avid giver to the church. I invested just like one would with the stock market. My thought was that if I gave frequently, I would receive a return on my investment. Maybe I would be listened to more, or my ideas would be implemented more than others. Or maybe it was like insurance. When my car broke down, I would be able to go to the church and say, "Look, I gave this much. What can you do for me now?"

After a couple years of doing this, I realized that the direction the church was going was not the direction I wanted the church to go. I started getting angry. I started wondering why my investment was not returning what I expected. I started complaining. My heart became bitter. My money had resentment tied to it now.

There were rumors of building campaigns and the debt that goes along with that, so I became even more calloused to the idea of giving without strings attached. I couldn't enjoy giving any longer because I had set up this whole construct in my mind of a stock market, where I would touch and see the returns of my investment. This didn't happen though. I felt as though I was giving to an invisible being, although the needs that were being met were all around me.

I finally opted out. I couldn't find the wherewithal to give without having high expectations of where my dollars went. I could either give with resentment and high expectations, or stop giving and find some peace of mind and somewhere else to pour my money into.

The only way I could find peace is, I needed to give in a way that exceeded my expectations of receiving anything tangible in return. I found it. I started paying more attention to the needs around me. I started paying attention to my friends, who, were actually struggling pretty bad financially. I hadn't noticed it before because all of my emotions were wrapped around me and my money. Once I let go of expecting a return from the church, I was able to give directly and joyfully to the people I came into contact with on a regular basis. I don't expect anything back from them because it is selfless giving. There's nothing better than getting to give to someone who's fighting to keep their head above water, and getting to see them gradually get back on their feet.

In order to give without expecting anything in return, we have to give to the people and institutions that we are passionate about contributing to. If we are not passionate about who we're giving to, we will expect something in return. As humans, we do demand something in return. We are a reciprocal species. We barter and trade. We make transactions. However, there is something special about giving without expecting reciprocity, but assuming that it will take place in some size, shape, or form.

When we give, and don't demand anything in return, we receive more than we could have ever asked for. Grace and peace end up being the prized currencies. But, when we give expecting something in return, we end up resentful and bitter. We want the receiver to pay us back. The currency ends up being resentment and fear.

Today's Action: We will have an opportunity to give something today. Whether we are passionate about the person or thing we are giving to, may we pray "Thy will be done with this . . . " Then, may our transactions be made of grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment