Saturday, September 21, 2013

Whirlwind (Ordinary Time - Day 109)

2 Kings 2:1-18
In today's passage, the author writes about the relationship between Elijah and Elisha. Elijah was the prophet - a holy man - and Elisha was his apprentice. In today's language it would probably look like a mentor relationship. The author writes that they are standing there, and Elijah tells Elisha that God has sent him on an errand to Bethel. Elijah tells him to stay there, but Elisha says, "Not on my life! I'm not letting you out of my sight!" So, they travel together to Bethel.

When they arrive, a guild of prophets meets Elisha and says to him, "Do you know that God is taking your master away today?" Elisha responds, "Yes, but keep it quiet."

Elijah tells Elisha, "God has sent me on an errand to Jericho. Stay here." Elisha refuses to let him out of his sight again, and they both travel to Jericho.

When they arrive, a guild of prophets approaches Elisha and says, "Do you know that God is taking your master away today?" Elisha responds again, "Yes, but keep it quiet."

Elijah tells Elisha, "God has sent me on an errand to the Jordan. Stay here." Elisha refuses to stay again, and they both travel to the Jordan. Once they arrive to the Jordan, a guild of prophets is standing some distance away. Elijah takes his cloak, rolls it up, and hits the water of the Jordan with it. The author writes that the river divides, and they walk across on dry land. When they get to the other side, Elijah asks his student, "Before I go away, what would you like me to do for you?"

Elisha responds, "I'd like to have your life repeated in my life. I want to be holy like you are." Elijah tells him that his request will come true if he watches the whole process of his departure. "You have to watch, and then you'll get what you ask for."

The author writes that a chariot with horses of fire comes between them, and Elijah gets swept up to heaven in a whirlwind of dust. Once Elisha can't see anything else, he rips his robe to pieces as a symbol of mourning the loss of his friend. Then, he grabs Elijah's cloak and returns it to the Jordan. He repeats what he saw his master do earlier, and hits the water with the cloak. He asks, "Where is the God of Elijah? Where is he?" As he asks the question, the water divides again and Elisha walks across on dry land.

We're not told that Elisha was a holy man, much less a man who loved or followed God. However, we're told that Elisha wanted what Elijah had. He clung to his master, and didn't want to miss out on anything his master did. He refused to not follow Elijah, and didn't want to let him out of his sight.

As I read this story, I think about who in my life is worthy of following as Elijah was to Elisha. In my doubt and unbelief, who can I look to as a reminder of where my foundation is or where I am headed? Who am I unwilling to let out of my sight?

I need an Elijah in my life. I need someone who lives more radically than I do, that I can look up to and follow every step. I need someone who has what I want when it comes to following Jesus and trusting God with everything. I need a mentor whose answers to life's biggest questions aren't always built on logic alone.

The truth is, I'm afraid to ask because I don't want to be let down. I don't want to expect someone to push me past my limits, only to find that their idea of limits is way lower than mine. I want someone who truly believes that God can take things that are impossible and make them possible, someone who can speak into the areas of my life that I lack in, give me the tools to build with.

I'm going to start looking and praying. I have an intense desire to be stretched past my limits, to be challenged and not maintained. I want to be pushed into my discomfort zone, not hedged in to the status quo.

Today's Action: Do we have a mentor in our life who pushes us past the edge of reason, onto the shore of faith? Do we have a mentor or spiritual leader who is constantly challenging us to raise the bar on faith? If not, start searching and praying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment