Friday, October 11, 2013

Creations (Ordinary Time - Day129)

2 Kings 23:36-24:17
I'm currently investing my time and efforts into building a community of people that has fun together. Sounds pretty simple and boring probably. The truth is, it takes a whole lot of work. But really, the work has nothing to do with the outcome. It has everything to do with fear. I'm afraid that it's gonna fall apart. I'm afraid that people aren't going to like me. I'm afraid of me.

Just like with anything that we create (or try to create), there is a sort of emotional roller coaster that goes along with it. I start creating, planning, and forming a vision. I start picturing the vision, constructing the details in my head. Then, once the picture is vivid enough, I'll start writing stuff down. Then, I'll start turning the writing into tangible action.

The emotional part of it threads its way throughout the whole process, and doesn't go away. There's a constant tension between wanting my vision to play itself out perfectly, and being open to ideas and suggestions that are not part of my original plan. I have two options, I think. I can continue holding so tightly to my plans that I ignore the suggestions and ideas of other people. In other words, I become the dominant ruler. Or, I open myself up to other ideas, and make my ideas vulnerable to change. In other words, I become humble.

My history shows that I spend way more time shutting myself off to outside opinion. However, over the last couple years, I've learned that holding on tightly and letting go are part of process of creating anything. The point of creating is not to rule others with our creations, but to bless others and to let others in and invite them to create with us. No matter what it is we're creating - artwork, communities, philanthropic endeavors - there is always a phase of holding on with iron fists to our visions. I am great at this.

However, I believe that as creators, we have a higher calling to expose our creations and visions to the criticism and contribution of others. Saying I believe this is much easier than saying I do this. The norm for me is to get a vision, create something beautiful, and then use it to promote my own glory. With this comes another norm - I get ruled in the process. When I use my creations to rule over others, and to promote my own personal agendas, I will get ruled myself. It happens every time. It makes so much sense in a world of self-preservation to work hard to get what we want, and then hold on tightly to it and protect it from our invisible and visible enemies. The problem with this is, we become so wound up by all the supposed threats against our creations that we spend most of our time protecting what we've created. Our creations end up turning against us and ruling us.

I want more than this. I don't want to be ruled by my creations. I don't want to always be on the lookout for threats against my creational security. I don't want to feel like I have to wrap my vision up and lock it up in a safe, protected from people who may have better ideas. I want my visions and creations to be open to dissection, question, and contribution. This is where I'm headed.

What would churches look like if vision statements were open to criticism. What would pastors look like if they were constantly placing themselves in vulnerable positions, having their ideas and suggestions exposed for voluntary dissection and disapproval/approval? It may not make so much difference on a grand scale as it would on a personal scale. I'm tired of being ruled. That's it. If I can replace a little bit of tyranny with a little bit of freedom, day by day, then I'm experiencing life to the fullest.

Today's Action: What are our current visions and creations? Are we holding onto them with iron fists? Are we using them to promote our self-interests? Allow someone today to dissect our creations/visions, and find out if we're ruling to bless ourselves or sharing to bless others.

No comments:

Post a Comment