Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Bread (Day 29 of Lent)


A few Christmases ago, I was sitting in a service at a local church.  I couldn't help but noticing the baby in front of me.  He was squirming around and doing everything he could to get my attention, to be noticed.  So, I played along with him.  I made faces and grabbed his finger, and tried to help him enjoy his time in the huge place filled with thousands of people.  In actuality, that little baby was experiencing something that I really wanted - peace.  There were no signs of discontentment in this little one, and he had this expression on his face that shouted, "There's nothing important except what's happening right now!"  

At the same time, there was a preacher and a sermon.  There was a choir.  There was a production full of lights, music, and stage acts.  Although we were attending a Christmas eve service, the message somehow took a sidetrack.  The topic of adultery and divorce were brought up, and the preacher exclaimed that repentance from these sins was required in order to avoid hell.  My heart sank as I looked three seats down from me at my uncle, who had just cheated on his wife and was on his way to a divorce.  I looked inside my own heart and thought about how I've committed adultery.  I went into the building to receive a message of hope, but instead received a reminder about how bad I was.  

I looked at the baby again, and noticed that he wasn't paying attention to what the preacher was saying. He couldn't understand.  He just kept giggling and urging me to play "peek-a-boo."  In this moment there were two paradigms going on, two perspectives on life bumping right up against each other.  These two paradigms, I believe, will always be running into each other.  The one perspective is, there is a heaven for the good boys and girls, and a hell for the bad boys and girls.  The other perspective is, "I am a child and don't know anything, but I believe that no moment is more important than right now."  

In today's passage for Lent in John chapter six, Jesus is still talking with crowd who just witnessed the amazing miracle of the multiplication of food.  The crowd is still not convinced though.  They want to see what Jesus can do, as if the prior events were not enough.  Jesus tells them, "Anyone who follows me will hunger and thirst no more."  

The crowd remembers the story of Moses and the Israelites, how they wandered through the desert hungry and thirsty.  They recalled how Moses gave them bread from heaven and struck a rock with his staff, causing a fountain of spring water to flow out to the people.  

Jesus says, "The real significance of that story is not that Moses gave them bread from heaven, but that I am the Bread of Life, the real bread, the bread that is giving life to the world."

The crowd responds, "How can we get this bread?  We want it now and forever!"  

Jesus says, "The will of the one who sent me is that everyone received this bread.  My father wants everyone who sees the son, who trusts in who the son is, who trusts what the son does, and who aligns themselves with the son to experience real and eternal life.  I have come to put everything and everyone together again, whole and upright.  The father's will is that by the end of time, not a single detail will be missed, but that everyone will be restored to wholeness."  

What did that baby boy have that I didn't?  Had I lost something somewhere along the way, in the calamities of life, religion, politics?  

Jesus claims that the Father is leading all of us to himself, and that we all eventually come running to him.  He claims that he doesn't let go of us, and holds us in his care that we hunger and thirst no more.  But, like in my experience in the church that evening, there will always be a voice that says, "You're on the road to hell unless. . . "  That evening, I chose to follow the facial expressions of the baby boy.  I was reminded that throughout this life, there will constantly be opposition to the voice that says, "I love you just the way you are.  I'm holding onto you and not letting go."  

Jesus claims that we are on a road of restoration.  With all of the broken parts of our lives and the world around us, he claims that he is putting every bit of us back together, and that we have the opportunity to be awake to this by trusting in who he is (Restorer), what he does (Provider), and aligning ourselves with him (restoring and providing for others).  He doesn't say that when we don't do these things He is going to hold off on the restoration work.  He says that if we want to be awake to what he's doing right now, then we need to trust him and align ourselves with him right now.  We aren't required to "know" anything.  What Jesus wants is simple trust and alignment, like a baby boy oblivious to the world around him.  He's telling us that he's taking care of what we don't know, and that we have nothing to worry about.  Are we willing to open our minds and hearts to the possibility that by trusting and aligning ourselves with Jesus, we will hunger and thirst no more?  

Today's Action:  Examine one area of our life in which "death was brought to life."  In a courageous attempt to trust in Jesus, say "Thank you" out loud.  Examine one area of our life in which we didn't have what it took or what we needed to get through.  In a courageous attempt to trust in Jesus, say "Thank you" again out loud.  Do one thing for someone else today that helps bring restoration or provision to their life.  


3 comments:

  1. Orange And Blue Continued

    I wanted to continue or finish the post "Orange And Blue". The baby reminded me of the poem tossed at me. I went to the Orange Show and heard the Blues. The poet didn't get to read this poem but balled it up and threw it at me. I don't know it's significance but it seemed significant at the time.

    Trust In Dustin

    You can trust In Dustin
    He's got more chromosomes than I'd know what to do with
    Coolest dude I met in all of Arkansas
    in a pool acting strait foolish
    He saw my tattooes,
    splashed some water,
    put his horns up
    and said "rock on dude!"

    I could tell right away, Dustin's syndrome was down,
    but he didn't get down,
    just was down;
    born down
    like 311 and James Brown.
    Dustin was the shit, son!

    His mother told me she envied His ability to love life,
    just live life so freely.
    He still gets mystified by butterflies and scenic scenery.
    He still smiles when He pops bubble wrap,
    cardboard boxes are still forts to Him;
    that day was the first day He'd been swimming...
    ever.
    He was terrified of water,
    but Dustin was a five minute over-comer.
    Just like that:
    He was scared,
    but tried it;
    tried it, and liked it;
    liked, the loved it,
    now is a part of it.
    Dustin was a 17 year old splish-splashing machine.
    He gave me a great big bear hug,
    pulled back,
    smiled and said.......
    "You sure are hairy."

    I laughed...
    then He laughed...
    and the trick was done...

    Dustin was an undiscovered street magician
    but don't tell anyone,
    the world isn't ready for His powers.

    He could melt Antartica with a high five,
    He can make the sun smile every time he walks by,
    He's the only person I've ever met
    I'd bet could understand what's being said when the trees speak.

    Some nights Him and the moon meet
    in grassy Arkansas hill country and play hide and go seek.
    But if the moon can't break away from its night job
    and Dustin's alone,
    they make faces at each other through His bedroom window.

    Dustin can make the moon laugh.
    That's His superpower,
    it's what the 21st chromosome does for him.
    Down syndrome is an insult.
    Dustin was the brightest gemstone I found in all of Arkansas,
    and don't you dare call him stupid...
    that kid's got more cool
    than the Fonz would know what to do with.
    He's the definition of superhuman.

    So you can trust in Dustin
    to be your friend when you can't befriend yourself.....
    Play peek-a-boo at church with Dustin
    Just don't hug him when you're wet
    He doesn't like that
    But He will hug you even if He's wet
    'Cause Dustin, thinks that's hilarious.

    When Dustin laughs,
    He squints His almond shaped eyes,
    tosses His head back
    and throws His body forward
    like He's never been so fully engulfed in a moment
    before in his life...
    But He has been....
    it was yesterday...

    But as simple as He is
    Dustin understands the power of today
    and today,
    He inspired a poet,
    tomorrow, a painter [I don't know how the poet knew to throw this at me]
    Thursdays are His work days,
    He gives away free hugs till his arms break;
    giving all that he has
    but doesn't know what it is to take,
    with no ulterior motives.
    Dustin couldn't be a fake if he tried.
    Dustin never needs an alibi
    'cause superheroes just do what comes natural to them....
    They save the world
    one person at a time.

    So you trust in Dustin too....
    'cause that's what superheroes are for.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did add the line "play peek-a-boo at church with Dustin"... I had put a comment in angle brackets... and it disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, a circular piece of bread should have been saved for 3/14 or 3.14 which is pi day :O

    ReplyDelete