Monday, March 4, 2013

Megaphone (Day 20 of Lent)



Growing up in the Souther Baptist tradition, I accepted lots of information that I didn't test on my own.  Most of that was from being a child.  But, there came a time when I got smarter and had the ability to test what was going into my mind.  Religion is a funny thing though.  Instead of asking questions about what I believed or didn't believe, I just moved on with life and didn't give it a second thought.  I figured that everything I knew was true and non-debatable.  I would have never thought that some of my beliefs would actually do me more harm than good.  Why would I need to question my faith, since I had no other gauge by which I was willing to test what I thought I knew?  

I was first questioned about my faith in a dimly lit room in a club, sitting across the table from my sponsor.  I didn't know it at the time, but my faith was driven out of fear.  My sponsor could see it, and he knew from what I was telling him that my faith was not my own.  When he questioned my conceptions of God, I got very offended.  The one question he asked me that still rings inside my head is, "How can you worship a God that you're afraid of?"  

I threw aside his question as if he didn't know what he was talking about.  I wondered if he had a clue who God was or how firmly I believed in God.  That was the last time I ever sat with that sponsor because I thought he was full of crap and was trying to "lead me astray."  

What my sponsor actually did that day was crack open a door into my heart that would eventually turn into a full blown rearrangement of my beliefs in God, Jesus, and spirituality in general.  I had so much fear about God that I was living in denial of his love.  I had so many conceptions about God that I had blindly accepted from childhood, and had never experienced such "faith-shattering" opposition as I did that day with my sponsor.  

But really, "How could you worship a God who you're afraid of?"  

In today's passage, Jesus is teaching in the temple in Jerusalem.  The passage covers the whole week of the Feast of Tabernacles, and he is spending the week risking his life and popularity teaching people that he is the Messiah, even though the whole city is observing the feast that points to "the coming Messiah."  It'd kind of be like going into a Wal-Mart on Black Friday, getting a megaphone, and proclaiming, "This is all wrong!  We have to stop consuming all this crap, and start sharing our stuff with the needy!  This is not how it's supposed to be!"

The crowds were split on Jesus' proclamations.  One side was convinced, and one side was enraged.  The Jewish leaders got the police and they wanted to arrest Jesus for causing such a disruption.  However, "it wasn't God's time yet."  They would get their chance to take Jesus in, but it wasn't time.  

As Jesus is making his stand in the front of the temple he says, "What I teach comes from the One who sent me.  Anyone who wants to do his will can test this teaching and know whether it's from God or whether I'm making it up.  A person making things up tries to make himself look good.  But someone trying to honor the one who sent him sticks to the facts and doesn't tamper with reality."

Jesus invites everyone to test what we believe.  For the Jews, the test was against Jesus' claims that he was the Messiah.  The Jews had preconceived beliefs that told them the Messiah was coming way in the future.  Jesus opens the door for everyone to ask themselves, "Are my beliefs my own, or have I blindly accepted someone else's?"  

Religion is a blessing and a curse.  For me, I've learned about some beautiful practices like Communion and Advent.  The negative side is, if I don't know what I believe then I'm prone to take whatever comes my way and accept it as my own.  I believe this is dangerous for anybody.

Many of us have given up on anything that has to do with religion because we felt that somebody abused it or abused us.  Many of us have given up on God or Jesus because somebody condemned us using their names.  Many of us know deep inside that the principles found in Jesus are great principles to live by, but in the forefronts of our minds are those people.  Every time we think of God we see the faces of those people who tried to jam Jesus into our hearts.  It's kind of like this:

Imagine if all throughout high school English class, the teacher told you the meaning behind every line of "Hamlet."  You didn't have enough time to read the whole book because it was too dang long.  Or, you just weren't interested.  You assumed that if you just listened to the teacher's explanation you would get the gist of it.  Therefore, you never really needed to read the book as you had the summarized version.  Lets say you're in college now, and you're taking a class on Shakespeare.  This time, the whole semester is about Hamlet.  The first night you sit down to read, you have all these preconceived "truths" and they act as a lens as you read each passage.  You're actually reading it through the lens of that high school english teacher.  Lets say that two weeks later, the class is having a discussion on the book.  As you listen to the other classmates talk about what they think, your heart starts beating a little faster and you start getting anxious.  They're wrong!  They're way off.  What they're saying isn't even close to what you've been reading.  

Even though you took the time to "read" Hamlet, you were never really reading Hamlet.  You had never set aside the information the english teacher gave.  You had never even considered it.  It was accepted as truth, and there's no way there could possibly be another way of looking at the same book.  

Reading the Bible should be no different than reading our favorite novel.  Jesus invites us to read his teachings with an open mind and not preconceived notions of truth.  He invites us to test every single line that we read, and to not form the "right" answer, but an honest one.  

I think that if we were all completely honest with ourselves about the scriptures, we could admit that we know nothing but believe a lot of things.  I believe that looks very much like "child-like" faith.  Whether we're clothed in religion or struggling just to make some sense out of life, we're all invited to test the scriptures on our own - not by somebody else's opinion or belief, but our own.  If we are truly interested in doing this, I think we'll find that what we were so afraid of in the first place had no substance.  I believe Jesus invites every one of us to seek truth, not act like we own it.  

Today's action:  List five things that we believe are the most important guides for how to live our lives.  Then, share them with a friend.  

4 comments:

  1. I'll try and think of 5 guides that are most important for me for this day. Right now, I can think of none. I suppose I have to think of what I am doing and what guide I have. I can start by what I did. First, I took Kaley to the bus stop. The driver's handbook pops in my head. I wished her the best on her algebra quiz. I helped her study for a couple hours last night. I told Kaley that in order to focus on what she loves, theater, that she won't regret all this math study because hopefully while in college this stuff will not hinder her from following her passion. She'll be prepared. I think the guide in this case is the belief that hard work is how one can attain the freedom to follow one's way. It's not necessary, but on average I think it works the best. I also chose not to have Kim take Kaley to school. I did this because past experience tells me that Kim will be a basket case if she doesn't get enough sleep. So, past experience is a guide. Since experience is a guide, I want to experience a lot. I have a lack of experience, holes, in many places I feel are important. I like learning. I believe the ability to learn was given to me by my education, specifically, I think my math training helped me learn to learn.

    I think that people who are more experienced than me in any area are guides. I love to watch anybody who is a master in their field. I believe that people who write books about what they do are good guides - for instance, I have a book on "Joinery". Now that I think about it, on my last vacation trip, I took the following books "A Guide To Mushrooms Of The Northwest", "Astronomy Guide", "Book Of Knots", "How To Build A Boat", "Orvis' Guide To Building Flies For Flyfishing", "Anatomy For Artists" and "Steven Hawkin's Guide To The Universe" (actually it wasn't called that, but essentially it is).

    I don't see the actual subject matter of math helping Kaley. I don't think what works for me works for others all the time.

    I will be with neighbors today. My guide there is "love your neighbor". It's the one thing, maybe the only thing, that ever sunk in. Any way I slice it, I find it true despite the fact that my last experience ended up in a fist fight.

    Structure is a guide. This may be a sign of getting older. If "guiding" implies "going", structure must be in place to flow about. Architecture is then important. Composition is important. Routine is important. Processes and daily routines are somewhat determined by the structure one is placed in, creates or adopts.

    Art is a guide. Art is my latest pursuit. I have a long way to go.

    I don't know how many guides I've listed and feel like I'm rambling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I believe that a God exists who loves me. Seeing as how most of my life I've believed in a wrathful, penitent, "You be a good boy" kind of love (which I don't believe is beneficial to anyone really), this belief has been an eye opener. It's funny how believing that there is such thing as a loving God who has compassion on me will actually affect the way I look at the people around me, which brings me to my next belief:

    2. I believe that a God exists who loves everyone. Growing up in an "us vs. them" environment really shapes a crappy worldview and creates a line in the sand. Looking through the lens of a belief in an exclusive God leaves two kind of people in the world: good or bad. The good ones are the ones who believe like I do and the bad ones, well you get the point. They're basically doing everything wrong and completely going against God's will (looking back, I think it was my will). When I look through the lens of a belief in an inclusive God, I typically "include" everyone. I find myself developing relationships off of the similarities we share by digging and digging until I find our common ground. When I find the common ground with another human being, I find that I can throw all of my preconceived stereotypes, agendas, and biases out the window. I'm no longer a giver or a taker. I'm a sharer.

    3. I believe that some form of God exists in every living thing. And this belief is the common ground that I search for in people, especially the ones who I disagree with. It's easy to get a sense of the presence of God when I'm around people who listen to my theological/philosophical rants all the time and shower me with praises for how smart I am. I'm exaggerating a bit. Being able to sense the presence of God when I'm around homophobic pastors and KJV'ers is a different story. When I find myself in a situation where someones saying something that completely goes against my core, I take a deep breath and remember that they're entitled to believing what they want just like I am. Usually, when I can do this, I end up being grateful that everyone doesn't believe like I do. That, in turn, points me back to God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4. I believe that all creation is forgiven - past, present, and future. The notable part of this belief for me is the amount of time it took me to finally open my mind to it. It was next to impossible for me to believe this if I couldn't forgive myself. Talking about how Jesus died on the cross and forgave sins was something I would do a whole lot. It was lip service though. I had done things that I considered unforgivable, therefore I believed in a God who was not forgiving. Having come to grips with my own inadequacy but also coming to a better understanding of grace, I've come to believe that when the Bible says that Jesus died on the cross to forgive sins and conquer death, it doesn't mean that I (or anybody else) has to pray a prayer or walk down an aisle or do spiritual jumping jacks to "get forgiven." The forgiven's already gotten. Here's a secret: I don't believe Jesus intended the Lord's Prayer to be used to ask God for forgiveness after his death. That's just me. He introduced the prayer before the ultimate atonement for sins, which pretty much deleted that line from the Prayer "Forgive us for our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." When I pray this prayer alone, I change "Forgive us our trespasses" to "Thank you for forgiving our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." I don't know, it just makes more sense to me that way. And, this leads me to my final "guiding" belief:

    5. I belive We are all "saved." I look at the word saved as a term that applies to this life. The afterlife is so beyond my grasp that I'm not even there on the belief scale yet. It's like a big question mark and I just don't spend much time thinking or talking about it. Maybe that will change. Most of my life, however, being saved has been all about the afterlife, which went hand in hand with my belief in an exclusive God. Believing that some are in and some are out will haunt a God-fearing man until his last breath. Me, I don't have time for any more of that. I'm saved from having to experience a life of hopelessness, chaos, turmoil, depression, and active alcoholism. That's enough to last me at least a couple millennias. The definition I've come to believe when it comes to salvation is: Waking up to the possibility that there is an endless amount of freedom in God, and it doesn't run out. When I started believing this, I no longer looked at my friends and coworkers with these mental labels of Christian and non-Christian. I started getting a feel for how "awake" or "asleep" they were to freedom. I find common ground and form friends and not "saved souls."

    I really appreciate you sharing yours!! I look forward to journeying with you and getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you especially when it comes to freedom. A note on my note: I wasn't sure if it would happen, but the statement "I will be with neighbors today" came true. There was a fire again. It was a great evening. Talk was about gardening, jobs, garage sales, fig wine (I am the honorary first taster --- or possible victim), dentists, fishing, a long-time neighbor moving, test taking, deck building, new business, a secret cooler in Brenham that has the REAL Bluebell cookie icecream thing... all to the blues of Johnny Winter. Ahhhh... now that is about 5 mph... almost to 1/2 mph... _____

    ReplyDelete