Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Sick Bed

These last two nights were awful.

I had a splitting headache, my stomach had extremely sharp pains, and I could barely sleep. I caught a couple hours here and there, only to wake up to a stabbing sensation in my abdomen.

I left work early yesterday and went straight to my bed.

But, at 1:45 this morning, my eyes opened and no words can explain the feeling of sickness leaving the body. It's one of the best feelings ever. I was relieved from whatever was going on in my body.

I'm energized and ready to go now, ready to work, ready to knock out some to-do's.

But while I was confined to the bed, I observed a few things.

I needed someone to take care of me.
I didn't have the energy to do anything, including praying or talking on the phone.
I was powerless.

It put me in a position where I could no nothing in my own power. It would take a few minutes just to get out of bed, or use the bathroom, or walk to the next room.

I need to remember what it's like to be sick, because the frame of mind that I'm in when I'm confined to the bed and hurting is very close to humility. Dependent, lack of energy, and powerless.

What would it look like to go into each day with the characteristics that I showed while I was in bed?

What would it look like if I went into the day needing someone to take care of me and realizing that I don't have what it takes?

I find that when my physical well-being or emotional well-being are off balance, I'm less hostile to the world around me. Why? Because I have obvious problems, and it drains my ego to the point that I don't need to try and control anyone or anything around me. I've got problems of my own to worry about.

But, when all's good and fine with the body and the emotions, I'm more likely to be on collision with everybody and everything. I think I've got all my stuff together, and I can start controlling my world one person at a time.

How hard it is to carry a mind of humility when the body and emotions are working fine!

Maybe my mantra today should be: "I'm sick and I need you God."

Maybe repeating that over and over will keep me in a posture of humility, less likely to let my ego take over.





2 comments:

  1. I felt a lot of that recently too when I had the flu. I also felt like I didn't appreciate the blessing of good health nearly enough. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete