Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Practicing Disciplines

I have been very vocal about how much I was looking forward to our Lenten journey together as a community this year. I witnessed so much growth in myself and others in the group last year during this time that I longed for the opportunity to see that again. I anticipated the inevitable deep conversations, both on Thursdays, and just in general, about how we were experiencing God’s presence during Lent.
One of the things we chose to do was step into some of the same Spiritual discipline practices that we did together last year. So we have continued with the fasting (and sharing a meal) and with the daily prayer, and we decided to add to these disciplines the practice of Sabbath. But here is where the disconnect is for me. As with anything, when you choose to do something you need to know why you are doing it. Last year, we were teaching on Spiritual disciplines at our gatherings on Sunday, and we were reinforcing those teachings with conversations on Thursdays. The “why” was understood. But with a different focus at our gatherings and our Thursday conversations, I feel like maybe the “why” hasn’t been as evident as it could be. So I figured, what better way to use our new blog than to talk a little about why we have chosen to do what we do. So that is what I will do. First up…fasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment