Monday, March 7, 2011

Time

So I think this is a discussion that we cannot allow to just pass us by. Because, as much as any other discussion we have, everything is wrapped up in how we choose to use the time that we have been given. So much of the time we feel like we just can't add anything else to our lives, it seems as if we are barely keeping our heads above water. I guess the question that we have to ask is the same question Andy Stanely asked in his teaching (http://www.northpoint.org/messages/time-of-your-life) that we watched, what is our priorities? Or as the analogy says, what are our "big rocks"? I believe it is easy to say what our priorities are, because we know what the answers are supposed to be. I wonder if we gave ourselves a reality check, if the answers would be the same. I have heard many people say, "if you want to know what you care about let me see your checkbook." I would add to it, "let me see your checkbook and calendar." An easy indication of where I priorities are can be found by looking at where we spend our money and our time. And honestly, I'm not sure if we really want to look that closely, because we know we may just find something that we don't like. What is a higher priority for us, God's kingdom or facebook (using Stanely's example)? What is a higher priority for us, true relationships or television? What is a higher priority for us, dependence on God or dependence on ourselves?

One of the things that I appreciated about Stanely's analogy is he didn't say that we have to remove all of these things that we have engrained into our lives like facebook and television. Instead, the call is to reprioritize our lives around the things that God has called us to make a priority. In our MC's we categorize these things as Communion, Community, and Mission. That doesn't mean we have to completely give up facebook, or television, or slow-pitch softball, it just means we have to put things into our jars in the proper order.

So where are your priorities? What are your "big rocks"? Before you answer, actually take a look at your checkbooks and calendars. I look forward to the discussion.

1 comment:

  1. I think it will be easier to post as Keith, since he has a blog connected to this somehow...I am so non-technical! I missed the last MC meeting and will the next. Not sure if this is wrong priorities or just conflicting ones...my Mom will be here and Thursday is her birthday and we are attending Kaley's show together. I do miss you guys very much!

    Since I will miss another "So how was your week?" I will briefly share it here. I have been feeling so ADD that I reread a chunk of one of my books about it and cried the other night. I can't describe the scattered fog I feel sometimes, but it sucks. I guess it beats most other psychological problems, but I feel like a goofy loser much of the time. The thing with ADD is the large gap between potential and performance, and an acute sense of underachieving.

    I have decided to just homeschool Kovi for the time being, because I can't bear a year of tummy aches and anxiety and misery and truthfully, I am not sure school is a better option than gardening together and reading together and enjoying the short time he actually wants to stay home!

    Anyway, in spite of my worries, life is good. Enjoying Spring and gardening and looking forward to hanging out with the kiddos at BATP today. Love and miss you all.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete