Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Interruption (Easter - Day 18)




(Based on Luke 4:38-44)

Yesterday, I set out trying to do some good in the world, and came home feeling like a complete failure. At work, things just didn't go the way I wanted them to go. And what happens when I have a set plan with expected results? Things don't go the way I want them to go. I get angry. I take it out on my coworkers. I think irrationally. I don't pray, and I walk away with an emotional hangover. The thoughts in my head go something like, "How dare you show your imperfections! You're better than that! Think about the way you acted today and feel sorry for yourself!" When I don't leave room for interruptions and spontaneous problems, I am actually claiming that I have power over the future - that all the different aspects of a twenty-four hour day are in my hands.

In Luke 4:38-44, we're told that Jesus goes to Simon's house and his mother-in-law is sick with a high fever. The people in the house ask him if he can do something about it. We'll call this Jesus' first interruption of the day. In response to the house guests' inquiries, Jesus doesn't go out back to think about it, or get angry at them for taking him away from the football game. In response, he takes Simon's mother-in-law by the hand and talks to her. The scriptures say he tells the fever to leave. I can't grasp telling a fever to leave, but I can grasp talking to a sick friend, encouraging them, and speaking "new life" into them. The mother-in-law gets up and responds by cooking dinner for everyone in the house. 

After nightfall, well after the word's gotten around that Jesus has healed two people, people start showing up in droves. People are bringing anyone they know of who is sick, lame, crippled, addicted, and oppressed. We'll call this interruption number two. Jesus is watching the football game, leaning back in the recliner with a beer, and a knock comes. He peers out the peephole to find a line of fifty people standing outside the door, wondering if the person inside can help their hurting friends. Jesus doesn't lock himself in the house until the game's over. He doesn't sneak out the back door, or tell the people to wait until he's ready. He opens the door and welcomes them in. The scriptures say that "they brought to him all who were afflicted." 

The next morning, Jesus sets out for the "open country." If he's like me, it's been a long week and he's looking for some down time. He wants to get into the mountains and spend time by himself reflecting on the ups and downs of the week. Yet, the people come looking for him. We'll call this interruption number three. The plans are set. There's nothing better than escaping into nature for a little bit to reflect and meditate. The worst thing that could happen is someone calls, and they're hysterical, and they need you to come right now! Jesus doesn't keep walking toward the mountains that are calling his name, and act as if there isn't a huge crowd of people frantically following him. He doesn't turn around and say, "I've got boundaries okay? I need some me time." He says, "Don't you know I've got to get around to these other places too? This is the work I've been sent to do." Jesus doesn't turn them away, but lets them know what he's doing and where he needs to go. I imagine some went home and some stayed, but Jesus never ran away from his interruptions or responded in anger. He was simply open to taking each situation as it came as God would have it.

Interruptions are way too often like annoying friends who show up unannounced while I'm hanging on the beach enjoying peace of mind. The interruption is considered anti-peace. But, what if it's not supposed to be this way? What if interruptions are intended to be one of the avenues we have of doing some good in the world?

I think it all comes down to my heart. When my motives are to stick to the plan that I've made, interruptions and unexpected problems are going to be like hemorrhoids. They're going to take away my peace of mind, and I'm going to be completely uncomfortable and not okay with it. When my motives are to stick to a plan that includes interruptions as opportunities for good, peace of mind isn't affected. Strangers are welcome. The sick are welcome. The annoying problems are welcome. Annoying friends are welcome. Things out of my control are welcome

Today's Action: Pay attention to the interruptions today. On the way to work or before, ask God to help our minds and hearts be receptive and open to interruptions. As they come up today, may we remember that we are loved by the God who gets interrupted by us time, after time, after time. May we respond to interruptions by trying to do some good in the world, and putting the love of God on display. 

No comments:

Post a Comment