Friday, August 9, 2013

Sleepin' Around (Ordinary Time - Day 67)


2 Samuel 12:1-14

Last night, I was having frozen yogurt with my small group, and we started talking about the state of our church. As I listened, I could tell that our church is in a transition state. There's something in the air, and it's causing people to question things.

People aren't doing what they're expected to do, and it's pissing other people off. I made sure to chime in with the voice of righteousness and tell the people sitting at my table that we shouldn't make judgments about how much or how little someone is doing something.

It wasn't five minutes later that I completely contradicted my own statement and started going off on the people I thought weren't doing things right. It was a perfect example of what happens when I think I'm the voice of righteousness. I'll say something profound and leader-worthy, and then blow it up with my own contradictory bad-mouthing of people who aren't living the way I think they're supposed to live.

In today's passage, the prophet Nathan is confronting David about murdering Uriah the Hittite after sleeping with his wife. Yes, that's right. The man after God's own heart is having a come to Jesus because he's just screwed up big time.

Interestingly, the way Nathan confronts David isn't through a lecture or a scolding, but through a parable. Nathan tells David about two men – one rich with lots of livestock, and the other poor with a mere lamb. The poor man's lamb is like family. It eats off the plates of the family, drinks from the family cup, and even sleeps in the family bed. It's like a daughter to the man.

One day, a visitor arrives to the rich man's house, but the rich man is too stingy to give up any of his livestock to feed the hungry visitor. So, he goes after the poor man's lamb. The rich man steals the poor man's lamb because he doesn't want to sacrifice any of his bountiful herd.

When David hears the parable he screams, “Someone should find where this man is and kill him!”

Nathan responds, “The rich man is you.”

When David realizes that he's the character in the story, he confesses his screwup and says he's sinned against God.

I'm convinced that my eyes are naturally set to see the mistakes and flaws in other people. When I hear a news story or watch other people, my eyes are
focused in on waiting for the first mistake I can jump on. After all, I'm the voice of righteousness. Yet, I'm convinced about one more thing.

If I can see a mistake and flaw in somebody else, that means I already know what the flaw is. How do I know what it is? I've done it myself. I don't notice other people's flaws if I don't have the flaws myself.

It is normal to hone in on the defects of other people. It's normal to get into political, theological, and philosophical conversations about how bad or wrong politicians, church leaders, televangelists, or coworkers are. That's why we have news media.

What's not normal is taking a look at ourselves to see why we feel such a strong need to hone in on other peoples' bad behavior. I believe there's a spiritual alternative to every normal misgiving. So, if the normal thing is to judge other people, then there must be a spiritual solution. The spiritual solution I use is two fold.

First, I ask myself certain questions about how I functioned throughout the day. Was I resentful? Was I selfish? Was I thinking of myself most of the time? There are about fifteen questions that I answer honestly to gauge where my heart is each morning. If I don't do this, I am blind to my own flaws. The more blind I am to my own flaws, the more I see the flaws in others. Make sense?

The other way I can gauge how accurately I'm seeing my own mistakes is through others. I find somebody I trust, who knows the good and bad, and give them permission to speak.

The lie is that I'm always righteous. The truth is that most of the time I'm not.

Today's Action: I'm going to see or hear something that pisses me off today. I have two options: judge the person in question, or ask myself if I share the same flaw. Do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment