Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Runt (Ordinary Time - Day 37)

1 Samuel 16:1-13

The author tells us that God tells Samuel he's found a new king, and he's in Bethlehem. Bethlehem turns out to be a very important place later in the scriptures, because a guy named Jesus is born there. Saul's still mourning over Saul. He's probably wondering if he made the right decision in rejecting Saul's plea for forgiveness and a second chance. The story goes that God says, "I've rejected Saul as king, and I've spotted a new one - he's one of Jesse's sons. Go there and take a cow with you. I'll show you what to do next."

When Samuel arrives with his cow, all the fathers of the town greet him apprehensively. When a priest shows up with a cow, it usually means that something is wrong. But Samuel assures them nothing is wrong, but invites them to get ready for worship. He makes sure Jesse is invited. Jesse has eight sons and they all show up to the time of worship. Samuel can hardly keep his mouth shut, because he thinks he sees the new leader of Israel. He looks like a king. He acts like a king, and he talks like a king. But, he's not the one. 

Samuel takes a look at all the sons that are present, and tells Jesse, "Is this it? None of these are the one I'm looking for. Don't you have anymore sons?"

Jesse says, "Well, I've actually got this runt out back. He's taking care of the sheep."

Samuel tells Jesse to bring the runt out. He's bright-eyed and good-looking. The author tells us that when he shows up, God tells Samuel, "He's the one! Anoint him!"

The runt's name is David.

The author tells us in this passage that as Samuel is glancing over the seven sons trying to figure out which one is the right one, God tells him, "Men and women make judgments based on the face. I make judgments based on the heart."

I have a friend who lives in a home for the mentally handicapped. When I arrive and walk to the entrance, I'm surrounded by people who look differently than I do. They speak a language I don't understand. They have disproportionate bodies. They make no sense to me. The best I can do is nod and smile as I make my way to my buddie's room. I can't understand what anyone is talking about due to their handicaps. Yet, there is one thing that is true for every single person in this home - they are smiling.

The language is confusing, they look weird, and they have many different physical and mental handicaps, but the one thing that ties us together is emotion. Smiles. I'm probably the only one in the room not smiling, because it's like stepping into another dimension. I don't know how to handle myself, or what to say. Yet, the childlike faith in the room is immeasurable. 

I have this tendency of discounting the leadership abilities of people who act and look differently than I do. I have this notion that if people don't fit in my box of what it means to impact the world and contribute to society, then I don't need to waste my time trying to gain something from them. They can't possibly have anything good for me. 

Yet, in this passage, we're told that God has not chosen the head of the family, the oldest brother, the most kingly looking brother. God's chosen the runt in the back of the house, scooping sheep shit. This runt will soon enough be the most famous king in all of Israel. 

I want to view the world this way. I want to see the people around me not based on differences, but based on how God may be using them to impact the world. I want to view people as significant leaders in the world, despite how different or out of the box they are. I need new eyes to see this kind of stuff, because although I may not be mainstream, I still create boxes of what I think a leader should look like, talk like, and be like. Most of the time, I'm way off.

Out of all the "leaders" I know, whether it be at work or at church, they all have qualities that stand out. They're pretty or handsome, they're good conversationalists, outspoken, well-learned in the field. But, what about the folks who are none of these? Are they leaders as well? When we get past the glamor of leadership, we find sheepherders. We find a bunch of people who aren't outspoken, aren't good looking, and aren't that knowledgeable. 

I need to redefine what the characteristics of a leader are, because I believe I've become to focused on outward characteristics like looks and language. I don't attempt to look at things like compassion, integrity, loyalty, and perseverance. Yet, these are things that really separate the men from the boys, or women from the girls. My question is, "What kind of filter am I using to locate the leaders around me?"

Today's Action: Pay close attention to the characteristics of my coworkers today. Look for things like compassion, humility, kindness, and perseverance. Just watch them and see what I find.

1 comment:

  1. This post reminds me of The Orange Show. A poet read poems and then crumpled them up and threw them to the audience. He threw two to me. I was special.

    Click Here To Read The Poem

    I'm on tilt Jon. I want to try and make one more day. I have a plan. On Thursday, if possible, I'd like to hit the coast. It turns out that I did throw that pack of cigarettes in the trash. I dug them out. The song in my head is "I've got one more silver dollar..."

    So. I say we "skip" Da Funk and go to San Louis Pass. We can go in my car if you like. HOWEVER!!! This time, we have to leave early. I want to see the sunset.

    PS: Tonight Kovi and I caught a couple crabs and bait fish with the gigging light. I told him, "You need to thank Jon Tucker that we are here." He said, "Thanks, Jon Tucker." And then he tempered it with irony, "Jon Tucker Must Die!"

    Thanks, Jon Tucker.

    ReplyDelete