Thursday, May 9, 2013

Brood (Easter - Day 40)




(Based on Hebrews 2:5-18)

In order to talk about today's passage, I need to talk about cicadas - specifically magicicadas. Any time now, these one inch bugs are going to crawl out of the earth in the eastern half of the United States. They are found nowhere else in the world. The amazing thing about it is, they've been sucking on tree roots for the last seventeen years, and will only emerge once the ground temperature reaches precisely 64 degrees. Once they come out from hiding, they'll flock to the trees and they're only looking for one thing: sex. They're going to mate for a few weeks, die, and then their offspring will travel underground for seventeen years and repeat the process. 

When they come out, they will outnumber humans 600 to 1, and they'll be heard for miles. While they stay underground, the bugs aren't asleep. They're going through four molten stages and sucking on tree fluid called xylem. They come out first as nymphs, and then go through a last molten process, turning into adults. As this happens, all these cicadas begin singing a chorus that can drown out the sound of a passing train. As they look for their mates, they continue singing, but once they find them, the song changes. They do a dance and then mate. The males keep mating and eventually the female lays about 600 eggs on the tip of the tree branch. Once the offspring come to life, they divebomb into the ground for seventeen years. 

Life . . . Death . . . Life . . . Death . . . Life

In order for new cicadas to live and thrive, adult cicadas must die. In order for new life to happen, a life must die. Sound familiar? 

I wonder if the cicadas are cowering through life, scared to death of death. I doubt it. They were wired and made to live 99% of their lives underground, preparing, molting, sucking tree fluid, and then to explode out of the ground with a billion others like themselves and mate for three weeks, singing, dancing, and producing offspring. Then, they die, going back into the ground - from dust they came and to dust they return. 

From life . . . to death . . . produces life . . . 

Before I came to believe that in the narrative of Jesus dying on a cross and freeing us from death, I was scared to death of death. My struggles in life had everything to do with after I die, and much less to do with here and now. I believed in a narrative that said God was keeping track of my mistakes, and that I would be judged in the end. This meant I had better keep a ledger myself to make sure my good was outweighing my bad. That way, I could constantly make up for my wrongdoings by doing something good for somebody, which was essentially doing something good for God. I needed to appease the god of score-keeping. If I didn't, then drought would come on my life. I would dry away and rot. 

Death and life were at odds with each other. 

In Hebrews, we're told that Jesus freed us from cowering through life, scared to death of death. The author says that Jesus took death into himself, becoming death for every person in the history of the world. Death would not be the final chapter for any of us, but life would be everlasting. The author claims that Jesus took all of our sins, our failures, our grosser handicaps, and took them before the Father, advocating and coming to a verdict: Not Guilty.

As I start another day reflecting on this verdict, I have to remember that this life is not all struggle and death. It is not a veil of tears. No matter what I'm struggling with, I have to believe that the price has been paid for this exact struggle I'm going through. The valleys do not determine where I'm going when I die, but determine how I experience the freedom that was bought and paid for - right here and right now. Though the pain comes and the night seems to last forever, there is song and dance waiting. There is the harmony of victory waiting. Though I wonder about the impossibilities of ever getting out of the messes I'm in, I also wonder about when the victory dance will come. With death, there is life. With burial, there is resurrection. 

Today's Action: Whatever the "keynote" struggle is in life right now, keep going to any length to see it through. Keep praying, keep looking out for the interests of others, keep hanging on like the cicada for the time of resurrection.

5 comments:

  1. I think I have a way of interpreting "today's action":

    Whatever the "keynote" struggle is in life right now...

    I've got two dutch dudes to host. Is this really my keynote struggle?

    ... keep going to any length to see it through.

    How much beer is it going to take? How little sleep? I'm trying to work. I'm trying to set up a fishing trip. I'm trying to set up the gun range. I've even offered my head as a target if the PTSD gets out of control - just do it fast, I said.

    Keep praying

    I have said, "Calgon, take me away." several times.

    keep looking out for the interests of others

    We will definitely see DRI (Dirty Rotten Imbeciles) on Friday. Jaroon wants women. I told him I could not help him in that department.

    keep hanging on like the cicada for the time of resurrection.

    May 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30. That is 21 more days. Will I see resurrection on May 26? It is a Sunday.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    The kitchen was a disaster after the weekend's party. Yesterday, after wincing at it for 3 days, I began working on it. It isn't just the kitchen. It is everything. While washing, I thought about Kim, Kaley and Kovi at Disney World. I think it must be the closest I'll ever get to being Cinderella. I laughed.

    Then it happened again last night - A Hobbit's Surprise Party. At two in the morning, I cleaned up the neighbors backyard.

    I hope I'm handling things okay. I don't know what to do.

    PS: You should see the tattoo that covers the back of Jaroon. It's a huge fallen angel. Jaroon and I talked at length about PTSD. The guys experience it the same way. Jaroon is enamored with America. This is his first time here. Fun to listen to the small things, like "the grass is spongy here", "the toilets are small", "femurs are smaller here" etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we don't have to wait 17 years or 21 days for resurrection, maybe we can find resurrection today.

    I hear, "Though the pain comes and the night seems to last forever, there is song and dance waiting."

    Today's Action: If you find resurrection, blog here about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the simple stupid truth is - I just want to work today and get something done. Think I will send an email.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My two pronged attack was thus and so executed:

    1. Email The Dutch
    I need to get some things done here today. I will be ready for DRI Friday night. I'm about to email Larry about the range. Will get back with you.

    2. Email The Guy With The Arsenal
    I don't know how busy you are, but these guys would like to go to the range. I'm asking on their behalf. Jaroon was thrilled with Kovi's bb gun. I'm telling you, they would l-o-v-e to go out and shoot. If it is at all possible, for the sake of the Freaky Deeky Dutch, let's go fire some Ammo.

    We will now see how the cicadas fly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Compilation of thoughts (not opinion, or what I believe/think, just off the top of my head) on Hebrews 2:5-18:

    Why love us?
    The rotting?
    We suffer.

    He rotted
    If you love him
    You must love us
    We rot

    Do you hurt us?
    Why does it take suffering?

    We do not understand immortality
    We want life - like yours
    We rot

    The power of death has been vanquished
    Death is nothing to fear
    Still, we rot
    Still, we suffer

    With all this hurting
    All this rotting
    Is it fitting to our mortal sensibilities
    That this great divide
    Be bridged
    By one in the same boat
    By suffering
    And rotting?

    If I am immortal
    What do I say
    To mortals?

    I care
    I'll come join the ash heap

    Is it that this life
    Takes refining
    Suffering
    Bending
    Rotting
    Burying
    To enter new life

    Would eternity be a boring place
    Had I not experienced this rotted, gnarled bag of skin?
    It'll all make sense later

    All of us mortals
    Killing and saving each other
    Screwing and serving each other
    Hating and loving one another
    Fearfully taking sides, standing up for
    Fearfully joining forces, fighting for justice
    Laughing in folly, laughing from joy

    Was this our deal with the devil:
    Kill him, beat him, scourge him, lance him
    Pull the hair out of his face, spit on him, nail him
    Drive thorns in his head
    Keep him hungry
    Thirsty
    Walk him until he hurts
    Abandon him
    Rape him
    Molest him
    Tempt him
    Test him

    Do all THAT
    All the devil wants
    THEN you'll have some idea of what
    Kind of hell hole you put us in
    This is our justice
    This is what us mortals require
    We are sons of death
    We demand death
    And let it be excruciating

    You have it all
    We rot, now it's your turn

    I wish that this deal would not have been made

    I'd choose
    Dust to dust
    Mortal
    Keep it that way
    Let us be as we are
    Accepting death
    Loving and nurturing life
    Us mortals can live with our own pain
    Our rotting
    Our suffering

    We wouldn't wish that on mere immortals
    I'm sorry it had to happen

    ReplyDelete