Sunday, May 19, 2013

Kill John (Pentecost - Day 1)




(Based on 1 Corinthians 2:1-13)

So, two nights ago I was driving down a sandy, unpaved road in the middle of the night with my girlfriend. We were scoping out a spot to go flounder gigging. I had done some previous research using Google Earth to find some spots as I was unfamiliar with the area. The research led me to Port Bay Road. There were no houses around. There were no street signs, just this sandy road leading to the edge of the water. When we finally got to the end of the road, the headlights exposed hundreds of bait fish jumping out of the water, and we parked the vehicle. I pulled out my spotlight to examine the area, but my girlfriend asked, "Did you see what was written in the sand?" I said, "No. What does it say?"
She grabbed the spotlight from me, walked to the front of the car, and shined the light on the words written in the sand. The car happened to be parked right in front of the phrase, "KILL JOHN." Immediately, she jumped back into the car wondering what in the world could have possibly been meant by these words. I just pushed the thinking aside because I wanted to scope out the area. I wanted to catch some flounder this weekend. 
I started thinking about it when we left. What did it mean? Was it a setup? Was this some evil plot by the creators of Google Earth? 
The truth was that I didn't know why these words were written in the sand, and I didn't know who the John was that they were referring to. My girlfriends was freaked out, and I was catapulted into the mind-numbing daze of theory and belief. There were words, their were emotions, there were responses. The problem was, we were presented with a message that connected us with an unfounded story, and we weren't given a reason why.  
As I thought about this event this morning, I thought about how the message found in the scriptures is often presented in the same way the message "KILL JOHN" was written in the sand. The hearer is left with fear, confusion, and a burden of not knowing why the message was created in the first place. So, it's only reasonable that the hearer of a message that's presented without substance or explanation will experience the byproducts of emotional reaction. For us, it was impossible to find out why the message was written in the sand. 
Part of being a great teacher is presenting a message but not holding a monopoly on the message. A great teacher actually points the audience back to the beginning of the message, leaving it up to them to interpret and come to their own conclusions. When we're left without a trace of where a message comes from, all that's left is emotional reactivity and not tangible depth. 
The author Paul tells us that he's scared most of the time about presenting the Message of Jesus. He feels inadequate, and feels like he's not impressing anyone. But then, he goes on to say that he still believes the message is making it's way into the minds and ears of his audience. Why? He says he teaches nothing but who Jesus is and what he did. Everything else is left up to the interpretation and research of the audience. Through what he calls "God's wisdom and power," the substance of the message trudges its way through. 
My question is, How many times have we been presented with a message that was presumably true, but were left with no way of unpacking it to find out the truth for ourselves? This happens every time we watch a commercial or hear a politician speak. We are given "plain truths" and given manufactured sources for these truths, but we have no way of unpacking them for ourselves. These days, even unpacking the "truth" requires going down a rabbit hole. 
What I take away from Paul's passage today is this: When we finally flush out all the noise of religious leaders, politicians, marketing gimmicks, and pyramid scams, we're left with the pure, simple, message of God's love for us. We find that the only way to grow deeper in that love is to actually pay more attention to our own heartbeats and less attention to all the voices screaming around us with a bullhorn. Sure, it's very enlightening and helpful to hear those messages, but at the end of the day it's us, alone, wondering what actually happens when we turn off the lights and close our eyes.
God's wisdom is found when we spend more time tapping into that thing inside of us that lights up when spend time having coffee with someone we love. It's found when we pay more attention to the spark that turns into a flame when we're at a Dave Matthews concert. God's wisdom is found when we spend more time connecting with what brings us life and energy and zeal. When we rely more on sources that are outside of our own, unique, experiences to define what or who God is, we pay less attention to the whispering spirit within. We let others define the unique, indescribable ambition within, and it gets whittled down to a hesitant, untrustworthy, nuisance. We become less confident in the Sprit residing in, and more confident in the spirits dwelling outside. 
I hope, as well as Paul did, that I am presenting a message that makes sense to my audience. I hope I'm not wrapping it up with polished language and fashionable wisdom, but conveying something that my audience can chew on with me. I hope the message I present doesn't single out anyone, but draws every reader in to examine the voice, the pulling, the divine shaping that is occurring in our own hearts. 


7 comments:

  1. I'm going to get the tattoo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tucker_Must_Die

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I want to know, did you fish or take off? If you fished, did you catch any flounder???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was having a discussion with the neighbor kid, about 8 years old, the other day. I asked him what he thought a coincidence was. We talked about that. Then I asked about associating meaning with coincidences. Then stopped and asked, "What is meaning?" I happened to be eating a cracker. I broke the cracker and stared at it. The kid, who isn't a church goer, said, "That is meaningful. That is the broken body of Christ." I almost asked him if he'd like to have communion, but thought it might be strange.

    We were subsequently interrupted.

    The discussion I wanted to get into was how we apply meaning to certain events, connect the dots, use symbols, knowledge etc. to make sense of and create our - I'm debating on what to call this - life, story, thread, thingy... and make it meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just got off the phone with a long time friend who can't stop druggin'. it took everything inside of me to not put on my superman cape and fly out to san antonio to pick him up. that's the shitty part about addiction. it's the kind of oppression that can't be solved by human power. i've been through this with him going on four years, and he's gone and come back, gone and come back, gone and come back. every time he's ready, he's not. he feels better after a few days and "graduates". to be honest though, i'm not sad for him. i'm sad for myself and these are the moments when i love to draw the curtains back, turn the phone off, and put on the kind of party for myself that nobody else wants to come to (pity party).

    As soon as I got off the phone my mind started racing with possible solutions and strategies on how to help my friend. I could let him move in and threaten the safety of hal, my neighbors, and my landlord. i could pass him off to one of my friends, and sweeten up the story so they won't know how messed up he really is. or, i can surrender - which is what i told him to do on the phone.

    i told him there are two kinds of surrender - surrender to die and surrender to live. he's leaning over the cliff, looking down, and it's looking really good down there. all i can do is listen and throw my verbal repelling rope out in the hopes that he at least tries to climb down (or give up and turn around.)

    it's situations like these that piss me off because the truth is: I don't have the solution. Only God does. The doctors, the family, the friends have all cut him off (understandably), and I'm barely holding onto the blurry memories of when I was in his shoes. The fear, depression, hopelessness, and a bottom that just won't end. There was no one who could save me. There was only one person who could make the decision to get better, and that was me. No one could force me or convince me to do anything. If they did, it would last a short time until I got a good enough band-aid, and then I was back at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend needs help and no one can help him. this is the meaning of miracle. if he dies, it's tragic. if he lives, it's a miracle. if he gets sober and stays sober, now that's something that words can't describe. words can't do that justice. it's one thing to get sober. it's another thing to do the hard work of getting free and chasing after more and more freedom. I want my friend to jump from San Antonio and time warp to freedom. his dad told him he didn't want to see him anymore. his mom had cut him off several years ago.

    The reason dads and moms and friends and church families do this is: we have limited pain tolerance. we can only stay in the ditch with our fellow sufferers for so long before we've gotta get out in order to save ourselves. I'm at a loss, but not really. I know in my heart that God's the only one who can save him from himself. My mind tells me to jump in my car and don't look back. Can those two work together ever? Can the mind and heart actually work in unity and not be at seeming odds with each other all the time? can my car even make it to San Antonio? Are my motives pure? Am I trying to be the hero or just trying to help a friend who i care about? did jesus ever ask these questions before he helped people out? What's our mission statement again?

    Ecclesia Clear Lake exists to glorify God by participating in his ongoing rescue of the oppressed?

    Lets break this one down in relation to my situation:
    am i a part of ECL? yes
    is my friend oppressed? yes
    am i oppressed? yes
    is god rescuing my friend? i don't know
    would i be participating in god's ongoing rescue of my friend? i believe so.

    but then there's these other questions that get me all f'ed up like:
    would i be doing this for me?
    are my motives selfish?
    what if my friend doesn't really want help?
    did he even ask for help? NO

    that's funny. . . he didn't ask to come stay with me. he didn't ask for money. he didn't ask for anything except prayer. where did these superhero solutions come from? ME

    thanks keith for listening.

    i'm going to stick with praying just like he asked me to and see what happens from there. sounds like he's not the only one who needs to surrender.

    see ya thursday or before, in case a fire happens between now and then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent 20 minutes writing and erased it. I listened. You listened to your friend. He asked for prayer. You prayed. I love your heart. Your friend loves you. You love him.

    I hate drugs. I love drugs.

    It's a mess isn't it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete