Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Fists (Pentecost - Day 3)




(Based on 1 Timothy 1:18-2:8)

A long time friend called me last night with heartbreaking news. He called to let me know that he was homeless and was deep in the grips of pills. He had no way out. Earlier this week, he had tried to kill himself by taking as many pills as he could, but woke up realizing that he just couldn't hit bottom. There was more digging to do. He's been traveling from hotel room to hotel room, living with heroin addicts and alcoholics with no place to go but the streets. As I listened to my friend unload all this information, my mind started racing with possible solutions. It took everything in my ability to not jump up and race to San Antonio. I wanted him to get better, and I wanted it to happen now. 

Several times he has asked for money, and several times he's stayed with me, but this time was different. He didn't ask for any of that, and I would have been glad to help him. He seemed to know that there was nothing anyone could do for him. His doctor and family have spread the word to everyone they know to not take him in. They have closed the door, and know that the only thing that's going to save my friend is an act of God. 

When I got off the phone, I felt helpless. I remembered back to when I was in his shoes. I remembered how scary it was to feel cut off from society. I remembered how delusional I was thinking I could just try something different and the problem would go away. I remembered not wanting to drink but doing it anyways. I remembered wanting to die, but being too scared to. I remembered feeling stuck with no way out of the hole I had dug myself into. 

There was, however, one request my friend asked of me: to pray. I was so busy banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what I could really do for him that I forgot he even asked me to pray. When I see an obvious problem in front of me, especially with a close friend, my first reaction is to figure out how to solve it. Even though my buddy didn't ask for shelter, food, or money, I was trying to figure out what was best for him. I wanted to put on my Superman cape and fly out there to save him, to rescue him, to be his God. 

I didn't remember to pray for my friend until this morning. 

He is at the point to where he's staring down the edge of the cliff. He's either going to jump or turn around. What can any human power do in this situation? 

In today's passage, Paul is telling Timothy what my friend told me to do last night. Pray. The church in the city where Timothy lives is getting overrun by people with alterior motives, and Paul has commissioned this kid to work at restoring it back to its proper place. But instead of giving Timothy a list of tangible to-do's like going to meet with the people in question, becoming the pastor, or raising a campaign, he simply tells him to pray. He tells him to pray every way he knows how, to pray for everyone he knows, and to pray for the rulers and their governments.

What Paul says at the end of the passage gives us a hint as to why he would give Timothy the first directive of prayer. He says he doesn't want men and women who are "shaking angry fists at their enemies, but raising holy hands to God." I don't know about you, but when it comes to problems being solved, my first reaction is not to pray. My first response is to start brainstorming, moving, and rallying the troops. Prayer is an afterthought most of the time. 

As I was reading the passage, I thought of all the ways I'm trying to influence my church, my friends, and my coworkers. I thought of how I've been struggling just to spend five minutes on editing the book I've written. I thought about how I've been drawing up a manifesto to present to anyone who would care to read about how the church "should" be. I thought about how I've been spending a lot of time in conversation about how beurocracy has infiltrated the church, and how a few control the whole flock. I thought about how I'm trying to make the voices of my coworkers heard, and how to find out what they're passionate about so it can be incorporated into the work environment. I thought about how I'm trying to be a good boyfriend and a good friend in general. I thought about all these "mission impossibles" and how very little time I spend in prayer about any of them. Instead, I shake my angry fists at what I dislike and work on ways to change them and myself, leaving prayer as the last resort. 

Paul makes it clear to Tim that prayer has to be at the root of the work he's about to do. If it's not, he'll just be another pawn in the system of us vs. them. He tells him to pray in every way he knows how - verbally, silently, with friends, laying down, while fishing, etc. He tells him to pray for everyone he knows - church members, church leaders, friends he knows, friends he doesn't know, family, neighbors, people on the street, people he works with, etc. He tells him to pray for rulers to run the government well so Paul and Timothy can continue to go about their business effectively and quietly.

Prayer has become an irrelevant afterthought for me when it comes to responding to the needs around me. It's become a last resort for things I believe need to change. Even in the situation that Timothy was about to face as a youngster, about to put himself in a position where he would be looked down upon by the elders and leaders of the church, Paul's first instruction was to pray hard. When there were so many things to be done on the chore list, so many problems to be turned around, prayer was the first thing on the agenda. 

This is what prayer does. It turns our attention away from the things and people we're against, and turns our attention to the things and people we're for. It makes our efforts and our missions about loving God, and turns us away from simply reacting to the injustices happening right before our eyes. When we react without prayer, our motives can be to use prejudice to fight prejudice. It just doesn't work. 

Just as Paul knew what Timothy was about to get into, we know what we are into or about to get into. We are all on different journeys, and we all have different conflicts. Are we trying get through our conflicts with angry fists, or are raising "holy hands to God?"

Today's Action: Think of all of our personal "missions." Whether they be trying to love a hurting friend or family member, trying to implement changes where we see injustice happening, or trying to follow through on something we're passionate about, are we praying? For each of these "missions," pray for: every person involved and in every way we know how.


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like my last comment about prayer was more appropriate, but I'll give my not so pretty thoughts on it.

    You said, "Am I trying to be the hero or just trying to help a friend who i care about?" I don't see anything wrong with being a hero.

    You said, "i'm not sad for him. i'm sad for myself..." The turmoil of his situation somehow flies back on you. Here you go - into the vortex. This is why I hate drugs (and don't forget that I love them). I have begun to look on this crassly. I hear heroin (or whatever) talking. I have less and less tolerance for heroin (or whatever). What I have found is that the closer one is, say family, to an addict the more they are sucked in. You know you aren't going to fix him. My experience is that it feeds the heroin. You can drag an army of friends and family in. That won't fix it. It'll give a fix. And still, we go into the vortex. Let's talk about the latest drug episode on As The Heroin Sucks The Time And Energy Of Well Meaning Heroes Down A Tube. What a great way for friends and family to spend their lives - sucked in heroin's hole. There will be many tears. One day of Triumph! And then back in. A momentary fall. Coming back! Tears! Money. Time. Jumping off a radio tower.

    In my opinion, loved ones and friends should stay out. Detached caring committed professionals need to be there. The addict has to somehow through some existential miracle grab the bootstraps and be pulled out.

    If I thought you could be a hero, I'd say put on your cape and fly. You might have super powers. What I've experienced is - the more super power you have the more you'll be sucked off of. The more you do, the more responsible you are, the more will be expected - the more you'll be sucked off of. The better you are off, the more you'll be sucked off of.

    The hero energy is just more energy for heroin - slurp.

    PS: I do have nice things to say too. I also realize you were helped by loving people. I also didn't hear the conversation. I don't know the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay. More about heroin.

    It was a very long day yesterday. Daddy is exhausted and in bed as I type at 2PM Tuesday afternoon. However, Blake’s situation is now legally resolved for the most part. He pled guilty of arson, which will be completely removed from his record no later than May 2018, if Blake makes it through 1 ½ years (minimum) of the Felony Mental Health Court program and 5 years of probation. If he does really great, the judge can shorten the probation time. As I said yesterday, he is now officially off of the bond and we are off of that bondage! His requirements are going to be incredibly busy. He has to go to court every Monday for at least a month, have various meetings with his probation officer (a lady we met), and be compliant with all requirements and stipulations. The judge can give Blake credit for doing well or punish him for doing bad. They will be doing random drug and alcohol tests and a lot of them. The judge can make him go to a 6 month in-patient drug rehab or send Blake to prison. He can put him in jail for a week. He can do just about anything he decides to get Blake straight. We watched case after case go before the judge and saw how great it can go or how bad it can go. We were given one bad surprise, which is that Blake owes a lot of court and other costs that Daddy and I will have to pay for now. These will be monthly bills we must pay, in addition to rent, food and clothing. We are hoping the SSI or a part time job will come about soon. The bottom line is that Blake is on a very strict probation, with numerous requirements. He can’t even leave Harris County without permission. He will definitely be in a substance abuse program and perhaps more than one. The judge recognized Daddy and I (as Blake’s grandparents) and told the entire court that family support is key to these individual’s success. He emphasized that they need the love and support from families very badly. One thing you guys can do is get that alarm clock to him. I called him this morning to make sure he was awake for his first meeting with the probation officer and he was not awake. The phone alarm didn’t do it. He owes $1,625 to Sandridge Apartments in restitution. He has a public defender attorney and they said that if there is any reason to believe that amount is incorrect to let the attorney know. Amber, weren’t you going to pay them? If you did, then Blake should not pay them too… which is really us paying each month until Blake has the resources to pay. Anyway, let me know if you know anything about that. This is just the beginning. In closing, I will tell you that the court atmosphere was very supportive, positive, and the goal to change lives and not punish was obvious. There is a lot of mercy and grace there. Blake’s new judge is David Mendoza. He is amazing. He speaks with each probationer individually. Finds out how they are doing. Discusses achievements and problems. Basically, everything is now in Blake’s corner. We can’t do this for him. They asked us what our role would be. We told the court that we would be there to love him, emotionally support him, and pay for his food and shelter (plus monthly fees now) until Blake could pay for them. Blake also gave your name (Amber) and information as his mother. Anyway, those are the highlights. Mom

    ReplyDelete