Friday, May 31, 2013

Spotlight (Pentecost - Day 13)


(Based on 2 Corinthians 4:1-12)

I've been on a flounder gigging kick as of late, so I think I'll tell you a little about that. It turns out that telling you about that ties into what Paul has to say today about carrying the Message.

To flounder gig, you need several things: adequate light (I use a spotlight), darkness, water, and a gig (or spear).

The way it works is, I search out a good spot on Google Earth for potentially good places to gig. It depends on the wind direction and tide. If the wind is blowing from the southeast, I will look on Google Earth for shorelines that are open to the northwest. They will be protected from the southeast wind. If the wind is blowing from the north, I will find a shoreline that's open to the south. 

After I find some good spots to check out, I make a list complete with directions. Then, I grab my gear and head out in my car which will probably overheat somewhere in my journey, so I also fill up with coolant. I head to my first point, and follow the street signs until I get to the edge of the water.

The two most important natural elements in gigging are wind and tide. If the wind speed and the tide are both low, then chances are great. If wind speed and/or tide are high, chances are not that great. 

I need a good light, preferably a lantern or a high beam spotlight. It's pitch black outside. The water is cool to lukewarm. Everything is black until the spotlight comes on. Wherever it shines, a ten foot span of life will be exposed. I can't see more than ten feet in front of me, but can see everything under the water in front of me. 

I wade along the shoreline, shuffling my feet in case any sting rays are present. The only way I'll know if a flounder is lying beneath the surface is if the light exposes it. However, the light will not expose everything. It will reveal some characteristics of the flounder, like the outline, the eyes, and any markings it has on it's body. If the light turns off, it's pitch black again. Without it, I won't see or catch any flounder. When the light finally does expose a flounder, I take a deep breath, take the gig, and stab the flounder in the head so as not to mess up the filets. That's how to flounder gig. Go enjoy.

The reason I blog is the same reason I carry a light when I'm flounder gigging. On most days, I can't see anything without some sort of light guiding my way. In the same way, I have an opportunity to point people to the same light that's guiding me. Without letting the light shine on me, all I or anybody else can see is a broken mess of darkness.

Writing is my way of letting the light of God turn what is dark into brightly exposed life. My hope is that the reader doesn't look at me and stop there, but sees the same light that is guiding and exposing me. It's all about the light. Without it, I'm in the dark.

I don't have any answers, but a bunch of beliefs and questions. I've been spiritually terrorized, depressed, hopeless, sleepless, and helpless. I've experienced the darkness of wanting to die but being too afraid to kill myself. I've experienced the horror of wanting to live but being too afraid to go outside. I've experienced the confusion of not knowing what I'm supposed to be doing.

It doesn't stop there though. Because, with darkness comes light. With death comes resurrection. With helplessness comes help, and with powerlessness comes power. 

It's the light that has exposed my darkness and led me out of that darkness that I want to give to others. My life and my words hopefully point other people to the light that has rescued me and gives me direction. 

Today's Action: With words, thoughts, and actions, expose people to the light that guides me. Whatever that looks like or sounds like, point people to the light that is guiding me. 

2 comments:

  1. The first time I read this post I *missed* the flounder. I thought the picture was a closeup of a paper bag or something. When I went back to the top, I saw that critter!

    ReplyDelete